Smithsonian Collection of Newspaper Comics (4 pts)

 Before I stopped and read any of the comic strips I quickly scrolled through to find one that caught my eye. The overall aesthetic of comics at this time was very nice in my opinion. I love the style, use of color, and inking techniques. I will say that I noticed racist depictions of African American people as was expected for artwork created in this time period. Winsor McCay's Little Nemo in Slumberland comics were something we learned about in History of Illustration my freshman year so it was nice to read something familiar. I also enjoyed the Popeye's comics and noted how spot on they were to the animations I used to watch on tv as a kid. There seems to be no change in character design or even art style from the comics to the animated cartoon. I was probably one of the very few 90's kids who actually did read the "Funnies" section of the newspaper growing up. I wasn't always an artists but I was always a fan of cartoons. My father was a high school baseball coach so he used to get the paper to keep up on the other local teams. I would always grab the paper from him before he would read it so I could steal the newspaper comics out and read what was going on that week. My favorite newspaper comic was titled "Zits" and it was about a blonde haired teenage boy and his family. It was really cool to peruse through what older newspaper comics looked like and seeing the influence on the artists' styles at that time. It's crazy to think that somehow the medium has survived this long. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 13: The Killing Joke (2 pts)

Week 10 Buddha 1 : Kapilavastu, Buddha 2: The Four Encounters (9 pts)

Week 7 Maus parts 1 and 2 (12pts)