Week 11: Bone Volumes 1-9 (9 pts)

 I really, really enjoyed reading the bone comics! So many of my friends have told me that they read these comics in their childhood and after reading them now, I'm quite jealous that I didn't know about Bone when I was ten! Even so, reading Bone was very nostalgic for me. It almost felt like I was watching a Saturday morning cartoon. The art style, the colors, and the humor all felt like a Looney Tunes episode in a way. The three Bone cousins are especially hilarious when they are interacting with each other. Phoney Bone is definitely your typical Daffy or Donald Duck character; the foil to our main character who in this case is a very sweet and wise Fone Bone. Fone Bone is closer to a Mickey Mouse rather than a Bugs Bunny. Smiley Bone is so funny and constantly getting into trouble, I feel like he is closer to Bugs is Bugs wasn't so cunning and intelligent. A lot of Smiley's charm comes from his lack of IQ though. I really enjoyed how each character was so different from the next and they each had a very strong voice, including Grandma Ben and Thorn. I thought it was so funny how Fone Bone had a crush on Thorn who is a human! It's kind of weird but you still find yourself rooting for him because he's so sweet.

 I looked into Jeff Smith a bit after reading these volumes of Bone and found that this story is actually inspired from characters he drew when he was just five years old! I also found that he started creating comics with the Bone characters as early as 9 years old! It's really cool to read a story that I'm sure means so much to its author. Its inspired me to incorporate more things from my childhood into my thesis. I really enjoyed how the story was so light hearted and funny on the surface but there was this whole other story happening in the shadows that was much darker and more sinister, It's what kept me reading further and further honestly I needed to know what would happen to Phoney Bone since he was being sought after! Speaking of that, I also thoroughly enjoyed the rat creatures who were not so threatening due to their bickering about quiches and many other things. Overall, the story was compelling, funny, and even emotional at times. I very much enjoyed reading such a fun story. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 13: The Killing Joke (2 pts)

Week 10 Buddha 1 : Kapilavastu, Buddha 2: The Four Encounters (9 pts)